Sunday, August 3, 2008

I Did It

This morning Sebastian, Reanna & I went to Mimi's for breakfast, my fave. After breakfast we went to the mall to look for a wig store. We couldn't find it, and were running out of time so we stopped looking. We dropped off Reanna @ the airport so she can go come home. She has to go back to work, so she can't stay until next weekend. I'm going to miss her.

After we dropped her off, I went back to our room so that I can look online for a wig store in the area. I found one, and after calling found out it was closed on Sundays. So I found another place, and called. Denise, the owner, answered the phone. She said that she too was closed, and that she doesn't sell wigs anymore because she downsized her shop. So I got off the phone with her and started searching again. Then I thought to call her back and ask her since my internet connection here is soooo sloooow. She just mentioned the first place I tried. Then she said she lives nearby, and that she has a few left at home and she'd bring them by if I wanted to go meet her at her shop. Of course I wanted to see them. So we went and met her, and the first time I tried them on, they were just o.k. My hair was too fluffy underneath and it was hard to see what they would look like without all of the fluffiness. She asked if I was going to cut it or shave it, and I told her maybe when I go home. She offered to cut it down a bit so it would not get so tangled. She said that if I wanted to see her when I was released from the hospital she would shave it in a back room. I told her I was not there yet, but that she could cut it. So she did. She was so nice about it, and totally understood me. She said she has dealt with many women with cancer, and could totally relate to how I felt. So she cut my hair shoulder length and it was a little poofy. She asked if I'd like it thinned down because of the length. Of course! Everyone knows how curly hair is not good short. So she kept cutting & cutting & cutting. By the end, my hair was pretty short. It reminds me of a picture of me as a baby with short curly hair. I think that was the last time my hair was ever so short. And I didn't even cry. She was so wonderful. I don't think I could have done that without her. After she cut it, we tried the wigs on again, and I found one that I liked. It looked much better with my hair flatter. It's short, but I don't care. My husband likes it and that's all that matters.

We went out for dinner, and I went out without the wig. Just my own short hair. It was different for the first few minutes, but now I'm getting used to it. I'll probably start using the wig once more hair falls out. It's still pretty thin, but not too bad now that it's shorter. I know you want pictures, but not yet.... I gotta get used to this more!


Miss Melanoma said...

Wow, sounds like an angel showed up to help you get through that hard time. I'm so happy you had such a wonderful woman to be with you for that experience.

Petra said...

Linda, I've been praying for you every day. I hope this second round goes down easily and you feel better soon. Thank you for sharing your experience and humor through all of this. You have no idea who is reading and being inspired and learning from you.